The latest in KC-area media jobs.
- The Kansas City Star is looking for a web designer.
- Topeka’s Ogden Publications is looking for an online editorial assistant.
- The Lawrence Journal-World is looking for a cops reporter and an education reporter.
- The Star is looking for a sports clerk.
- 6News Lawrence is looking for two full-time anchor/reporters; one full-time reporter; per diem anchor/reporters and per diem meteorologists. For more info, skip to the end of the post. Contact Jesse Fray, news director, about the per diem jobs: (785) 832-6304, firstname.lastname@example.org
For past job listings that may or may not be current, see my last post.
News Director, 6News Lawrence
News Reporter / Producer
6News Lawrence is looking for someone who loves local news, sports and weather, and can make a positive impact on our operation as a news reporter and producer.
We’re looking for a journalist who is passionate about being a lead contributor to a dynamic news team and an established, top-rated cable news product.
If you enjoy producing stellar newscasts, generating lead story ideas, turning multiple stories a day and showing professionalism in a hardworking newsroom, we want to talk to you.
Located in tornado alley and in the heart of “Jayhawk Nation,” our audience goes crazy about and revolves around weather, local sports and The University of Kansas.
The Reporter provides field reporting coverage and writes and produces newscasts.
• Provides field reporting coverage in the event of severe weather, breaking news, elections and other special events
• Identifies and reports on unique local stories on a daily basis, emphasizing accuracy, quality, and conversational news copy
• Writes stories for TV and online platforms, showing solid news judgment and insight in interpretation of events
• Communicates effectively and professionally in person and on the air
• Participates in community activities and is active in station programs designed to reach out to communities in the Knology coverage area
• Operates vehicle in accordance with Company guidelines, and ensures that vehicle is stocked with necessary equipment
• Produces newscasts, as directed
Requirements / Qualifications :
Bachelor’s degree in Journalism is preferred. Demonstrated reporting, research, and interviewing skills. Valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record is required. Willing and able to work evenings, weekends, and holidays. Proficient in end-to-end story development including shooting, scripting, editing, on-air and online posting, packaging, presentation, analysis and interpretation. Demonstrated ability to work independently. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Proficient in MS Office. Must be able to multi-task, meet deadlines, and function effectively and consistently in a fast-paced environment.
Applicants without experience in a professional newsroom need not apply.
Please apply online, at www.knology.com/careers.
644 New Hampshire
Lawrence, KS 66049
6News Lawrence is looking for someone who loves local news, sports and weather, and can make a difference in our operation as a news anchor and reporter.
We’re looking for the main face of our station, a journalist who is passionate about being a lead contributor to a dynamic news team and an established, top-rated cable news product.
If you enjoy turning multiple stories a day and anchoring newscasts at the same time, all while generating lead story ideas, being involved in the community and showing professionalism in a hardworking newsroom, we want to talk to you.
Located in tornado alley and in the heart of “Jayhawk nation,” our audience goes crazy about and revolves around weather, local sports and The University of Kansas.
• Gathers and compiles compelling news video and sound for utilization in our nightly newscasts and online.
• Writes accurate, conversational and understandable news copy.
• Communicates news and information to viewers during newscasts, special reports and other news programming.
• Provides live coverage of breaking events.
• Works independently, crafting TV and web-based stories and showing solid news judgment and insight in his/her interpretation of events.
• Identifies news content through communication with community contacts.
• Exhibits proficiency in end-to-end story development including shooting, scripting, editing, on-air and online posting, packaging and presentation, analysis and interpretation.
• Communicates effectively “live” and on air, whether scripted or “on the fly.”
• Applies station’s social media strategy, establishing and maintaining one-on-one interaction with our audience, using Facebook and other social media tools.
• Displays a dynamic and professional image to the community as on-air talent.
• Takes part in community activities and is active in station programs designed to reach out to the communities in the Knology of Kansas coverage area.
• Other responsibilities as determined or assigned.
• One year of experience as a reporter in a professional news environment.
• Bachelor`s degree in journalism preferred.
• A strong belief in and understanding of local coverage.
• Demonstrated use of social media and web-based content management systems.
• Ability to work independently.
• Reporting, research, interviewing and writing skills.
• Knowledge of AP style.
• Excellent writing and communications skills.
• Ability to develop beats sources and story ideas.
• Ability to work effectively under deadline pressure.
• Ability to work nights and weekends.
• Ability to travel out-of-town.
• Ability to participate in rotating on-call photographer shift.
• Valid driver’s license.
• Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
• Ability to work on a computer.
• Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos.
Apply online at www.knology.com/careers.