The Mid-America Emmy gala was held in Kansas City for the first time last night, and area TV stations performed well. Here’s who they did, as best I can tell from Twitter (props to Kris Ketz for live-tweeting up a storm). KSHB led all local stations with six winners.
- Silver Circle: KMBC’s Kris Ketz and KSHB’s Cynthia Newsome (as well as Terry Shopshaw from KHBS/KHOG in Rogers, Ark., and Mike Burns from KSDK in St. Louis). This award honors professionals with at least 25 years in the business.
- Health and science feature segment: Ryan Kath, KSHB: “Nurses Under Attack” (tie with WQAD)
- Religion story: Tess Koppelman, Jon Haiduk, WDAF: “Devil Inside”
- Human interest (segment/feature): Robert Low, WDAF: “Girl Shot in the Head”
- Investigative reporting: Ryan Kath, Andy Pollard, Melissa Greenstein, Michael Butler, KSHB: “Questionable Contract”
- Business/consumer: Ryan Kath, Michael Butler, KSHB: “Deceptive Nonprofit?”
- Politics/government feature segment: Ryan Kath, Andy Pollard, KSHB: “Flying Under the Radar”
- General assignment reporting (within 24 hours): Rob Low, Jon Haiduk, WDAF: “Car Into Attic” (tie with KSDK)
- General assignment (no time limit): Ryan Kath, Andy Pollard, KSHB: “River Road Trip”
- Specialty report: Cliff Judy, Taka Yokoyama, KMBC: “Stories from Joplin”
- On-camera talent/sports: Mick Shaffer, MetroSports
- Morning newscast: Jason Bent, Katina McCoy, Cliff Judy, Taka Yokoyama, KMBC (tied with KTVI in St. Louis)
- Evening newscast: Marlene Cross, KBMC
- Weekend newscast: Randy Parrott, Elizabeth Pepperdine, WDAF
- News excellence: (tie) Sherrie Brown, KMBC; Blaise Labbe, KCTV
- Sports, single story: Tim Twyman, KMBC: “Holy Rollers”
- Sports, news feature or program feature: Erik Ashel, MetroSports: “Chip Sherman”
- Informational/instructional program: Elyna Niles-Carnes, Brett Anthony, George Waldenberger, Gary Lezak, Jeff Penner, KSHB: “Surviving the Storm”
- Special event coverage: Angee Simmons, Mark Stamm, Randy Mason, KCPT: “Celebration at the Station”
- Public service announcement: Angee Simmons, Jim Button, KCPT: “Little Green Steps”
- News promo campaign image: Tye Murphy, Brian Boye, Maria Robison, KCTV: “Morning Rhythm”
- Editor, news: Tim Twyman, KMBC
- Editor, sports: Erik Ashel, MetroSports
- Photographer, sports (single camera): Erik Ashel, MetroSports
So here’s the tally: KSHB (6); KMBC (6); WDAF (4); Metro Sports (4); KCTV (3); KCPT (2)
The Chiefs production team also won six awards, and KU won one, as well.
See all the winners in the press release:
Russ Ptacek was there.
The Emmys via Storify:
[View the story “Kansas City stations clean up at Mid-American Emmy gala” on Storify]